As we approach the the mid point of the college football season, let just say things are starting to get a bit fuzzy to the least. Within the Southwestern Athletic Conference , the race to Houston and beyond looks like a NASCAR race in the west but the east looks like a bunch of gumbo. Let’s take a look see…
1.Jackson State Tigers ( 2-1)…..The Tigers started out slow with loses to UNLV , Tennessee State and Grambling State. However, Tony Hughes kept plugging away as he picked up wins against UAPB and MVSU. QB Brent Lyles has came on as of late as he thrown for 367 yards and 3 Tds. WR Dan Williams has caught 31 balls and 359 yards and 2 TDS. Coming off a bye week, the Tigers welcome a tough Southern team to Jackson. OC Chad Germany looks to have his offense in gear for the Jags.
2. Alcorn State Braves ( 2-2 )….The expectations were for three peat however, with injuries and a new coach, it may seem like the Braves are rebuilding instead of building. Coach Fred Mc Nair has suffered injuries at QB and looks like Frosh Noah Johnson will lead team until Lenooris Footman is back to 100%. Johnson’s 640 yards passing and 4TD’s paces the Braves offense. Question is can Alcorn regain their swagger after losing to UAPB and Grambling………
3. Alabama A&M ( 1-4)….if any team has under achieve…it’s the Bulldogs. Coach James Spady was expected to have his bulldogs in contention however, this may be his last season in Huntsville …Stay Tuned….
4. Alabama State ( 1-4 )…Alabama State paid a lot of money for Brian Jenkins and it seems like they are not getting what they paid for. After firing former coach Reggie Barlow, many beleived that Jenkins was the answer for winning a SWAC Championship. From the looks of things, it may look like a flop……Can the Hornets finish strong?
5. MVSU ( 0-5)…With little to work with and little to do…MVSU is about where they were expected to finish……Coach Rick Comegy has the toughest job in the conference……can he break through at some point…..
- Grambling State Tigers ( 3-0)….The Tigers have made a statement and the G-Men look like their on a mission to run the table. QB DeVante Kincade and WR Chad Williams have been unstoppable thus far…….
2. Southern University Jaguars ( 2-0)..With two weeks off the heal and practice, the Jags will be at full throttle heading into Jackson State. QB Austin Howard , RB Lenard Tillary and WR/KR Willie Quinn are unstoppable. If any team can beat GSU, SU has what it takes.
3. PVAMU ( 4-1)….The Panthers championship season may have came to a crushing halt after losing to Grambling State 36-16. The Panthers still have a shot however, they must improve their play with injured QB Trey Green INTS. The Panthers struggled against Alabama State and that may be a problem if Trey Green don’t get well again…….
4. Texas Southern Tigers ( 3-1)..The surprise of the SWAC thus far is the improvement of the TSU Tigers. Coach Mike Haywood has his Tigers playing great ball after wins over MVSU, Alabama State, and Alabama A&M. However, the test comes as TSU travels to Alcorn State this weekend. TSU Still has GSU , SU, and JSU to play. We will find out if these Tigers are real….
5. UAPB Lions ( 1-2)…The Lions started out conference play with a huge upset over Alcorn State in double OT 45-42. Since then , they have gone back to be the toothless Lions…..Can they regain their roar during the second half of the season?